Friday, January 30, 2015

Finish It Up Friday: Schnitzel and Boo Tula Mini


I was so excited to get my partner's information for the Schnitzel and Boo Swap.  She seemed pretty much my quilty twin, so I decided to just make something that I would love to receive.

On the long list of designers that we had in common, Tula Pink was right on top.  And I just happened to have been hoarding a pile of Tula from my time working at a fabric store.  I pulled a fun pile of all my blues, purples, and teals, yellow for a pop of color, and added in my raccoons.  She also loved Anna Maria Horner, and I needed some navies, so I added the feathers and coordinates.


I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the block I would make.  I've loved minis where the blocks make secondary patterns where they meet, so I scoured the internet.  At first I thought I would do nine blocks that were six or seven inches square, but then I found this block and decided that it would look cooler with just four blocks.  Also, the center would be perfect for the raccoons if the block was bigger.


I went a little crazy with the quilting.  When it's such a small space to quilt it's pretty tempting to quilt all the little spaces to death, which I did.  I only left the raccoon alone because I couldn't figure out how to quilt them.  And once it was all done, I thought it looked nice without quilting.


And here's the mini I received.  My partner saw that I loved Latifah Saafir and when she looked into her, my partner fell in love with the Big O quilt.   I love the idea of passing on quilt inspiration!  She did a really great job; it's bright and graphic and has my favorite Carolyn Friedlander print all over it!  Can't wait to figure out where I'm putting my mini wall so I can hang all my new minis.

Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday and Leanne for TGIFF!

7 comments:

  1. I love the little raccoons! The quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky partner! Your mini looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, those fussy cut raccoons are adorable:-) What a great swap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome minis, and your fussy cutting was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt blocks that make secondary patterns too. It's always fun to see how they make the whole quilt seem so much more complex. Yours looks great, and mini quilts are great for quilting every little space to death. I like doing that too! Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a hoarder of all things Tula too and I am drooling over the mini you made! Fantastic job fussy cutting those raccoons. I'm also a huge fan of mixed-print low-volume backgrounds, so this quilt is pretty much my idea of perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m