Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Finish: Catvent Wall Hanging!


The cats are done!  I absolutely loved making this wall hanging.  And it's actually the first official wall hanging in the house.  (I may have taken down a photo of how the mister proposed, but this was the right wall.  I'll find a spot for the photo later.  Priorities!)


It's from Elizabeth Hartman's Catvent Quilt-a-long that she started in December.  One cat a day until Christmas.  I loved making one little cat as the start of my day.  It was like a little finish that I could get done first, then feel accomplished the rest of the day.

I used two Kona charm packs for the solids, Sunrise and Sunset, a couple scrap charm packs bought off Instagram, and a bunch of scraps from a guildmate.  It was really fun digging through scraps that were all new fabrics to me and pairing them with the solids.


 I was on schedule until the last week then all the other handmade gifts took over and the cats got pushed to the side.  Then I ran out of Kona Medium Gray, went on vacation, had some surgery, basically life took over.  But I finally got it finished!

I decided to quilt it just like the original.  It looked so good, why try to top it.  I just used some painter's tape to mark out the lines, re-positioning it as I went.  The lines are a little bit more than an inch apart, because I didn't want to stitch too close to the tape and maybe sew the tape to the quilt.

There's just one bad line where I changed directions and the stitching pulled the fabric in the opposite direction.  I might rip it out and sew it again, but I'm living with it right now.


And I finally got the sewn binding right.  I've been trying to make it happen for a while using different techniques, but this one actually worked!  I cut my binding a 1/4" wider than normal, sewed it to the front, pinned it down along the back (so wish I'd had those Clover clips), and stitched in the ditch on the front.  I only missed catching the back binding in two little spots, so I just repinned and stitched those spots again.


The back isn't perfect, but it's all sewn, so that's a win in my book.

Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday and Blossom Heart Quilts for Sew Cute Tuesday!

12 comments:

  1. LOVE the quilting on this!! Awesome finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful kitties and it sounds like you really enjoyed yourself while creating it so that is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work on your quilt. I have a goal set to make a wall hanging quilt this year to put up in my sewing room. SInce my boyfriend and I are both highly allergic to cat and dog hair, this cat quilt could be a great allergy-friendly addition to our home. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute wallhanging! I love the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely purrrrfect! (sorry that was pure cheese, but i couldn't help myself)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute. I love the bright happy colors

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats and Quilts really seem to go together. Very cute

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how clean and fresh this quilt came out! Cute cats and love your color choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable! Makes me wish I had joined in the quilt-a-long. One more for the make list. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m