Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday Finish: Economy Block Top!


I'm so happy with this quilt.  I started making the economy blocks at the January Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild meeting.  We had an open sew, and I decided to bust out a few instead of quilting my Riley Blake quilt.  Procrastination at it's finest, but I did need to make some for the guild's block lottery.  Of course, I hadn't read the tutorial, so those blocks had to be scrapped and more had to be made.  Then I just didn't stop making them.


I was quite obsessed.  I combed through all my fabric looking for fun centers.  I'm really glad that I had so many scraps and charm packs from other people's stashes.  I found fabrics I didn't know I had!


Soon I had about 85, and I had some decisions to make.  I was set on this layout, just put a bunch of blocks together and let their crazy reign, but it just didn't look right.  All those cool prints that I had carefully cut into just got lost in all the noise.

(A little in the shadows, but the sun is a hike through three feet of snow.)

So I decided to ground that crazy in solids that I'd already used in the blocks.  The purple is Kona Berry and the green is Grass, two of my new favorite colors.  And plenty of black.  I've not used a bunch of black before, but all the black prints I used looked so awesome I knew I needed more.


I'm hoping to get this quilted up this weekend.  I'm so in love I want to cuddle with it right now.  I'm going to comb through my pile of flannel to see if any will work for a backing.  Or I might just back it with minky for extra cuddly-ness.



Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so awesome! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow. You were totally right to add in the Konas. I love how the colors work with the crazy, and they unify the scrappy blocks in a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice to add in the solids - it has really given the prints a chance to shine - super colourful! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m