Friday, December 20, 2013

A Sweater Finish!


This sweater all started with the sale bin at the local quilt/yarn shop.  We couldn't resist digging through all the colors, and my friend found a bunch of this yarn and fell in love.  It's a cashmere, merino, and microfiber blend in a pretty chocolate/maroon color.


Since she didn't knit, I volunteered to knit her daughter a copy of the Soledad sweater that my daughter was wearing at the time.  This is the third time I've knitted the sweater, but this yarn was just a little bit thinner than the first two versions, so it turned out a little slimmer, but super warm.


I added a couple inches to both the sleeves and the body, so that it can be worn even if one of those growth spurts happens.  She also wanted a higher neck, so I just knitted until I ran out of yarn, which turned out to be an extra inch and a half of collar.


The best part of this pattern is that little cable section that runs along the sleeve and down the side.  I have a couple other cable patterns that I want to try inserting in there.  I'm nervous about modifying a pattern, since I still feel like a novice knitter, but it doesn't seem that hard to change the path of the cables.


I really hope my friend likes the sweater, and more importantly, that her daughter loves it too.

Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Your sweater is just beautiful, I love the detailing on the side seams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out beautifully. How long do you think it took?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started just after Thanksgiving, so maybe three weeks? I love knitting little projects like this because they finish much faster than adult sweaters.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. It truly is beautiful, and I love the high collar. Adorable photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. It was a great idea that my friend had. I'll probably add another high collar to the next sweater I knit my kids.

      Delete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m