Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday

Last week I realized that it was getting really close to Thanksgiving.  Not a big deal, but we do Christmas at Thanksgiving!  Panic!  

So I started busting out Christmas presents like whoa!  I knitted up the blue (or indigo, or purple, depending on your light) mittens over the weekend using a pattern from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac.  It was pretty nice sitting around the house, watching football, drinking beer, and knitting.  I don't know why I don't do it more often. 

The first pair came out so nicely and quickly that I decided to make a second pair out of the seafoam green.  It's so satisfying to start crossing projects off the list.


And this beauty just needs a border or two, and then I can quilt and bind it.  I thought that it would be more difficult to piece all those triangles and have the points match, but it was no harder than squares.  Might be my go to patchwork shape from now on.


And I have a couple Quilts For Boston to quilt up.  I'm hoping to get this one done by the weekend and my second one done by the end of the month.  That's the goal, but who knows if I'll suddenly realize that I have four more projects to finish for Christmas.  


My favorite little piece on the Boston quilt.  I'm going to like quilting this one.

Linking up with Lee for WIP Wednesday!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

13 comments:

  1. everyone is on overload this season, huh?! I love that triangle quilt. i'm itching to do one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the triangle quilt, the fabrics are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given up on the idea of homemade Christmas gifts this year... Once we found out about our surprise addition (baby #3) arriving in January, I knew all of my sewing would be focused on getting ready for baby... Your quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same situation with baby #2. I'm only now attempting a semi-homemade Christmas now that she's nearly 3.

      Congrats!!

      Delete
  4. Love those triangles! I am just cutting them for my first attempt. Glad to hear it's not too hard to match up those points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are definitely not perfect, but they're really close. I just lined up the little hanging triangles you get from pressing the seams open, and pinned each point before I started sewing.

      Delete
  5. You give me hope for trying a triangle quilt- I've been nervous. Your blue and yellow quilt looks so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great mittens! What weight yarn did you knit them in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 2-ply worsted from a local farm. I love their colors, and the wool is really warm.

      Delete
  7. It is so very satisfying, crossing things off the list. And triangles are my go-to patchwork shape, followed very closely by hexagons. Machine piecing them isn't half as terrible as you might think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to keep track of it all this time of the year. Congrats on checking things off your list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seafoam is so pretty! The triangles are gorgeous too, I haven't tried doing them yet but it's on my list - good to know it wasn't too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the triangle quilt. That's definitely on my to make list someday!

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m