Thursday, August 29, 2013

Star Blocks!



This month's block lottery for the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild is scrappy star blocks.  I swear I made these from my scrap bin, but I just happened to have enough of each fabric to have it look planned.  My background is scrappy, so I think it counts.




This was my first attempt at paper piecing.  I loved how the Caldonia Stars from 627 Handworks looked enough to give it a try.  And, I only had to make one, so if I hated it, I didn't have to make a bunch more.  




The ripping was probably the part I was looking forward to the most.  I figured it would be nice and relaxing, just tearing on all those perforated lines, but I ended up being so stressed out that I would accidentally pull out the stitches at the end of each seam.  I think next time I'll just take a few extra stitches at the start and end so I don't have to worry as much. 




I love how it turned out!  I may have to try the whole series of Block Rock'n stars, especially the Mercury.  



This is the Ribbon Star from Freshly Pieced.  I've had it pinned on my Star Pinterest board for a while, but the pin didn't have a good link, so I forgot about it.  I actually found it again after searching for star patterns on Pinterest, and had a deja vu moment.  I'm glad to finally know where this comes from, because it was really easy and looks awesome.    




Fingers crossed that I win this swap; I'm liking how the other stars I've seen have turned out.  I might make a couple more to increase my odds!

4 comments:

  1. It's such as awesome series of blocks - I love them! Nice job - I'm waiting until the last minute (as usual) to get mine done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blocks. Well done! When I read your post and see your blocks, I think my next project will be paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I'm with Stephanie, still procrastinating! :) These are gorgeous. Yay for trying paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the accuracy of paper piecing, but detest (!!!!) ripping the paper out.

    ReplyDelete

Go on! Comment! I love reading what you think! -m